Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Yoga: Flow - Saraswati River Tradition



Very Sweet!
Many years ago, I started my yoga practice at Integral Hatha yoga Institute in the West Village, NYC. The classes were traditional hatha yoga, that started with chanting and breathing practices and proceeded with simple but effective yoga asanas. Afterwards, I felt calm and peaceful. This dvd reminds of those classes. Here is what you can expect.

Setting: Beach in Southern CA, with waves rushing in. Very tranquil.
Music: It has the best new age Indian music I have heard on a dvd. Not intrusive but you know it's there.
Teacher: Very soothing and direct voice. Her cuing is excellent.
Format: This dvd has 2 levels, A & B. Each level has 3 classes of varying length. If memory serves me
Level A - 24 min, 50 min, 60 min Beginning - Advanced beginning level
Level b - 30 min 60 min, 75 min. Advanced beginning level to intermediate

In each level, each class builds on the previous class. I think that this is a great format as one now...

Awesome!
I love this dvd. I won't go into great detail since others have already done so. However, I will say that I'm fairly new to Yoga. Not a beginner but hovering around intermediate and this is a wonderful practice to start easing into the more challenging poses. I already own Zyrka's other two dvds which are gentler and it was a no-brainer to go back to her teaching for the third time.
Here's what I like so much about this one:

-Zyrka Landwijt is a pleasure to workout with. She has a calming presence and moves with grace and purpose.

-She verbally guides you through it the whole way so you don't have to keep looking up at the tv to see what you are supposed to be doing.

-She offers constant guidance on how to hold the poses correctly. This is really important for those of us who are still pretty new and learning.

-The scenery is beautiful and the music lovely but more importantly; not distracting

-She's added a 25 minute session...

Wonderful practice and guidance
I have about 20 yoga DVDs that I thoroughly enjoy, and I practice with probably six or so of those regularly. This DVD is one of two favorites. Here's why:

You can tell when an instructor wants to be a good guide, not just the star of a yoga DVD. Zyrka Landwijt is an excellent teacher. Not only is her cuing for posture changes spot on, she also provides suggestions that help you think about getting into correct position, often emphasizing connection to the earth and/or the sky to quickly and clearly communicate proper alignment. It's inspiring to think about making the best contact with the ground beneath your feet instead of just making sure all of the corners of your feet are down.

The range of practice times and level of challenge is perfect. I'm at an advanced beginner to intermediate level, but this is one of those DVDs I know I will return to, even as a (hopefully) more advanced student, because the practices are an ideal combination of energizing and...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment