Saturday, September 28, 2013

In Search Of... The Complete Series



Bigfoot, UFOs, Ghosts, Lost Civilizations, and all hosted by Leonard Nimoy?!! What more could I ask for?!!!
I am not old enough to have seen "In Search Of" in it's original 1976-1982 TV run, but I was first exposed to it as a kid via re-runs on A&E in the '90s, and then again on the History Channel in the early 2000s. I always loved all things weird, so the show was a dream come true for me. I especially loved the crazy synthesizer score, Leonard Nimoy's creepy voice narrations, and the campy re-enactments featured on the show. Many of the unsolved mysteries featured on the show have been "solved" since the show's original run. It didn't matter though; this show was just plain awesome. I was really disappointed when the History Channel finally stopped showing the re-runs. Years later, I was able to watch VHS rips of the episodes on Youtube, which held me over for a little while.

When I finally heard that VEI had secured the rights to release the complete series on DVD, I knew that my prayers had been answered. I am happy to say that I just received my copy of the boxset today and...

A very good, but very basic release for a classic TV series
I know there is a lot of enthusiasm out there for this set, and I share a great deal of it, but I can't help but walk away a little disappointed at the end result.

To be sure, it's wonderful to have the entire In Search Of... series on DVD at last. As someone who's avidly watched the website TVShowsonDVD.com and the IMDB for possible release information, it's been a long and winding road to get it to this point. And as a person who was fascinated by this stuff as a kid I'm very grateful that I could purchase it at all. While many of these mysteries have since been solved, or debunked, there's a wonderful 70's feel to the material that simply cannot be beat. The overall packaging is solid and the disc cases are robust.

However, the reason I marked the series down to three stars is that I feel these DVD's represent a pretty minimal effort for a series that deserved better. Sadly, this will almost surely be the only attempt to release this series on DVD...

The Best !! ( Full Listing )
Finally !! I've been waiting for this show to be available on DVD for a long time, I'm so happy right now !! If you are not aware, IN SEARCH OF... is simply one of the best TV shows ever made, a true classic. This show hosted by the legendary Leonard Nimoy was ahead of its time and documented various phenomenas that wasn't "cool" or en vogue like today ( UFOs, Ghosts, Serial killers, Cryptozoology, etc. ). Today there's hundreds of shows about the Paranormal or strange phenomenas, it's all over the place. But back in the late 70's - early 80's there was only one show who dared to talk about the Paranormal and other mysteries, and that was IN SEARCH OF...

On this set you'll find all the legendary episodes: Bigfoot, Jack the Ripper, DB Cooper, Ghosts, UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, Jimmy Hoffa, the death of Marilyn Monroe, the disappearance of Michael Rockefeller, the Bermuda Triangle, the Amityville horror, Sherlock Holmes, and so many more. This is one of the reasons why this...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment